900 Arkadelphia Road Birmingham, AL 35254 800.523.5793
Information
  • Affiliations SAA (NCAA DIII)
  • Campus 192 acres (0.78 km2)
  • Endowment US $73.0 million
  • Established 1856
  • Location Birmingham, Alabama, United States
  • Motto Pro Christo et Republica
  • Nickname Panthers
  • Type Private
  • Undergraduates 1400
  • Vice principal www.bsc.edu
Birmingham–Southern College (BSC) is a private liberal arts college located three miles (5 km) northwest of downtown Birmingham, Alabama, United States. Founded in 1856, it is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Approximately 1400 students from 30 states and 23 countries attend the college. BSC has a 12:1 student-faculty ratio, and 98% of full-time faculty hold a doctorate or the highest degree in their field. Birmingham–Southern College was created from the merger of Southern University, of Greensboro, Alabama, founded in 1856, with Birmingham College, opened in 1898 in Birmingham, Alabama. Birmingham-Southern has been ranked among the best liberal arts colleges in the United States and was profiled in Loren Pope's Colleges That Change Lives.
The College offers the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Musical Arts, and the Bachelor of Music Education. Students may elect to major in: art, art history, biology, business administration, chemistry, economics, education, engineering (3-2 program), English, history, mathematics, music, philosophy, physics, political science, psychology, religion, sociology, Spanish, and theatre arts.
Campus
The campus is situated on 192 wooded acres three miles west of downtown Birmingham. The College has 45 academic, residential, administrative, and athletics buildings/facilities. New facilities since 1998 include a 100,000 square-foot science center, a renovated humanities center, an admission welcome center, two residence halls featuring suite-style accommodations for 167 students, student center, fitness center, football complex, new Fraternity Row, and an urban environmental park/lake.