SAC, Kings Buildings, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JG 0131 535 4000
Information
  • Campus Urban
  • Chancellor N/A
  • Established 1899
  • Location Scotland, UK
  • Type Public
  • Vice Chancellor N/A
  • Vice principal www.sac.ac.uk
The Scottish Agricultural College (SAC) supports the development of land-based industries and communities through Higher Education and training, specialist research and development and advisory and consultancy services. SAC's mission is to "enhance the rural economy and environment".[1] It has three main teaching campuses in Edinburgh, Ayr, and Aberdeen, as well as a network of 23 advisory offices, eight veterinary centres and five research farms. Much of SAC's work is in partnership with government departments, local authorities and other academic and research organisations. SAC is split into three working divisions: Education and Training, Research and Development and Consultancy and Advisory Services.
SAC offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes from three campuses, as well as training and on-line study opportunities. Programmes are offered on a full-time or part-time basis and cover a wide range of topics including the environment, business, leisure, agriculture, horticulture and science. SAC's courses are vocational in nature and are often designed in consultation with industry, to ensure good employment prospects for its students. SAC offers NC, HNC, HND, and postgraduate courses, as well as degree (BSc, BA) courses. Its degrees are awarded by the University of Glasgow or the University of Edinburgh.The college's educational programmes are offered at three main campuses. The Aberdeen campus is on the Craibstone Estate, about 5 miles (8.0 km) from the city centre. In Edinburgh, SAC is located within the King's Buildings, a University of Edinburgh campus on the south side of the city. The Ayr campus was located at Auchincruive to the east of the town and in September 2011 the Ayr campus will be relocated to a new campus near the centre of Ayr, which will be shared with the University of the West of Scotland.
Campus
In 1899 the agricultural department of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College amalgamated with the Scottish Dairy Institute and formed the West of Scotland Agricultural College. In 1900 WSAC was based in Blythswood Square, Glasgow. In 1927 the estate of Auchincruive, Ayr, of the late John Hannah of Girvan Mains, Girvan was given to the college and in 1974 the Blythswood Square site was closed.The Edinburgh and East of Scotland College of Agriculture had premises at George Square, Edinburgh, which were enlarged in 1904. In 1913 they formed a Joint Committee on Research in Animal Breeding with the University of Edinburgh.