- Admin. staff 5,967
- Affiliations Russell Group, Universitas 21, IRUN, Association of Commonwealth Universities, PEGASUS
- Chancellor Prof. Sir Kenneth Calman
- Endowment 128.1 million
- Established 1451
- Location Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- Postgraduates 6,246
- Principal Prof. Anton Muscatelli
- Students 23,162
- Type Public university/Ancient university
- Undergraduates 16,916
- Vice principal www.gla.ac.uk
The University of Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland's four ancient universities. Located in Glasgow, United Kingdom, the university was founded in 1451 and is presently one of nineteen British higher education institutions ranked amongst the top 100 of the world.A major centre of the Scottish Enlightenment during the 18th century, in the 19th century (while continuing to educate the upper classes), Glasgow became a pioneer in British higher education by providing for the needs of students from the growing urban and commercial middle classes. Glasgow served all of these students by preparing them for professions: the law, medicine, civil service, teaching, and the church. It also trained smaller numbers for careers in science and engineering.In 2007, the Sunday Times ranked it as "Scottish University of the Year."The university is a member of the elite Russell Group and of Universitas 21.
Glasgow is the only tertiary-education establishment in Scotland that offers a complete range of professional studies, including law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, and engineering, combined with a comprehensive range of academic studies, including science, social science, ancient and modern languages, literature, theology and history.Teaching at the University began in the chapterhouse of Glasgow Cathedral, subsequently moving to nearby Rottenrow, in a building known as the "Auld Pedagogy". The University was given 13 acres (53,000 m2) of land belonging to the Black Friars (Dominicans) on High Street by Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1563.By the late 17th century, the University building centred on two courtyards surrounded by walled gardens, with a clock tower, which was one of the notable features of Glasgow's skyline, and a chapel adapted from the church of the former Dominican (Blackfriars) friary. Remnants of this Scottish Renaissance building, mainly parts of the main facade, were transferred to the Gilmorehill campus and renamed as the "Pearce Lodge", after Sir William Pearce, the shipbuilding magnate who funded its preservation. The Lion and Unicorn Staircase was also transferred from the old college site and is now attached to the Main Building.
Since 1870, the main University campus has been located on Gilmorehill in the West End of the city.Additionally, a number of university buildings are located elsewhere: a facility at Loch Lomond, the University Marine Biological Station Millport, and the Crichton Campus in Dumfries.The University is currently spread over a number of different campuses. The main one is the Gilmorehill campus, in Hillhead. As well as this there is the Garscube Estate in Bearsden, housing the Veterinary School, Observatory, Ship model basin and much of the University's sports facilities, the Dental School in the city centre, and the Crichton campus in Dumfries, operated jointly by the University of Glasgow, the University of the West of Scotland and the Open University. The University has also established joint departments with the Glasgow School of Art and in naval architecture with the University of Strathclyde.