University of Strathclyde, 16 Richmond Street, Glasgow G1 1XQ, Scotland, United Kingdom +44 (0)141 552 4400
Information
  • Admin. staff 3,200
  • Affiliations AACSB
  • Campus Urban
  • Chancellor Lord Hope of Craighead
  • Convenor of the Court Fraser Livingston
  • Established 1796 Anderson's University ; 1964 granted University Status by Royal Charter
  • Location Glasgow, Scotland
  • Motto The Place of Useful Learning
  • Postgraduates 9,815[1]
  • Principal Professor Jim McDonald
  • Students 26,000[1]
  • Type Public
  • Undergraduates 16,185[1]
  • Vice principal http://www.strath.ac.uk/
The University of Strathclyde (Scottish Gaelic: Oilthigh Srath Chluaidh), Glasgow, Scotland, is Glasgow's second university by age, founded in 1796 by Professor John Anderson, and receiving its Royal Charter in 1964 as the UK's first technological university. It takes its name from the historic Kingdom of Strathclyde and is characterised today by leading research of international standing, with a reputation for excellence across research, education and knowledge exchange. The University of Strathclyde is Scotland's third largest university by number of students carrying an international reputation and outlook, with students and staff from over 100 countries.
The university has developed its reputation and grown from approximately 4,000 full-time students in 1964 to over 20,000 students in 2003, when it celebrated the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the original Royal College building. Today, the university is a major educational centre, the largest postgraduate provider in Scotland and one of the largest in the UK (HESA 2006)for post-graduate studies and research, with students from around 90 countries.
Campus
Currently, the University contains two campuses, John Anderson Campus and the Jordanhill campus. Each campus changed very little from its humble beginnings to the creation of the University of Strathclyde in 1964. The centrepiece building has long been the massive Royal College Building, begun in 1903, and building work took nine years to complete.The 1960s and 1970s saw a huge programme of new academic buildings being built, and in line with contemporary fashion at the time with other university expansion programmes of the period many of these buildings were built in the distinctive (and controversial) Brutalist architectural style- the McCance (1964), Stenhouse (1974) and Architecture Buildings (1966) all being good examples of this. The 1980s concentrated on developing the student residences. Below is a synopsis of the campus history, along with the current occupiers of each building in brackets:
1912 Completion of Royal College Building
1958 James Weir Building (Mechanical, Design, Chemical and Manufacturing Engineering) – extended in 1960.
1959 Students' Union Building
1959 Opening of Marland House by the General Post Office. Would later become the Graham Hills Building.
1962 Thomas Graham Building (Chemistry)
1963 McCance Building (Houses central administration, History, Politics, Registry)
1965 Livingstone Tower (Mathematics, Statistics, Languages and Computer Sciences(CIS) )
1966 Architecture Building