University Avenue Ayr, KA8 0SX 01292 886000
Information
  • Admin. staff 1300
  • Chancellor Lord Smith of Kelvin Kt.
  • Established 2007
  • Location Paisley, Ayr, Hamilton, Dumfries, Scotland
  • Postgraduates 1,635
  • Principal Professor Seamus McDaid
  • Students 13,040 (2006)
  • Type Public
  • Undergraduates 11,395
  • Vice principal www.uws.ac.uk
The University of the West of Scotland (Scottish Gaelic: Oilthigh na h-Alba an Iar) is a university operating from four campuses in south-western Scotland, in the towns of Paisley, Hamilton, Ayr and Dumfries. The present institution dates from August 2007,following the merger of the University of Paisley with Bell College, Hamilton. It can trace its roots to the late 19th century, and has undergone numerous name changes and mergers over the last century, reflecting its gradual expansion throughout the region. Holding a regional reputation for vocational undergraduate and post-graduate courses the University currently has over 18,000 students, with approximately 1300 staff, spread across seven schools of learning.
Holding a regional reputation for vocational undergraduate and post-graduate courses the University currently has over 18,000 students, with approximately 1300 staff, spread across seven schools of learning.Between 2008 and 2010 UWS opened offices in Glasgow, with a focus on the creative industries. The School of Creative and Cultural Industries has offices in Film City Glasgow and the Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA). This forms a metropolitan base for research, performance, events and exhibitions, work with industry, and knowledge exchange activities, connecting the university's four campuses with the city where the media and arts sector is most concentrated in the west of Scotland.
Campus
Paisley Campus
At the time of the Industrial Revolution Paisley was renowned for thread weaving. The Coats mill was run by two brothers, Peter and Thomas Coats. These men, children of the Age of Enlightenment espoused liberal ideals and became noted philanthropists. As members of the Philosophical Institution, founded in 1808 the Coats donated a museum and library to the town, funded the building of the Coats observatory and promoted education throughout Paisley.The Philosophical Institution, helped establish the School of Arts in 1836, which become a Government School of Design in 1846, one of twenty similar institutions established in UK manufacturing centres from 1837-1851. They were set up to improve the quality of the country's product design through training in design for industry. Peter Coats was director of both Paisley Philosophical Institution and the Government School of Design. Later, the Design schools were renamed Schools of Art, and once again as Schools of Art and Science.