- Established 1872 (as University College Wales)
- Location Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
- Motto Nid Byd, Byd Heb Wybodaeth (A world without knowledge is no world at all)
- Postgraduates 1,800
- President Sir Emyr Jones Parry, GCMG PhD FInstP
- Students 14,955
- Students 3,815 FE
- Type Public
- Undergraduates 9,340
- Vice Chancellor Professor April McMahon
- Vice principal http://www.aber.ac.uk/
Aberystwyth University (Welsh: Prifysgol Aberystwyth) is a university located in Aberystwyth, Wales. Aberystwyth was a founding Member Institution of the former federal University of Wales. In 2006 the university had over 12,000 students in seventeen academic departments. Founded in 1872 as University College Wales, Aberystwyth became a founder member of the University of Wales in 1894 and changed its name to the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. In the mid 1990s, the university again changed its name to the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. On 1 September 2007, the University of Wales ceased to be a federal university and Aberystwyth became independent again.
The Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) is a research and teaching centre at Aberystwyth University for the study of biological, environmental and rural sciences. IBERS brings together staff from the Institutes of Rural Sciences and Biological Sciences at Aberystwyth University and the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research (IGER). Around 300 research, teaching and support staff conduct basic, strategic and applied research in biology from the level of genes and other molecules to the impact of climate change and bio-energy on sustainable agriculture and land use. They also provide skills training. There is formal collaboration with the College of Natural Sciences in Bangor University.
The main campus of the university is situated on Penglais Hill, overlooking the town of Aberystwyth and Cardigan Bay. The Penglais Campus is the site of 12 of the University's 17 departments, as well as most of the student halls of residence. Just below the Penglais Campus is the National Library of Wales, one of Britain's five legal deposit libraries. The original university building, next to the sea, known as "Old College", is the site of most of the University's administration as well as the Departments of Welsh and Education. The Llanbadarn Campus is located approximately one mile to the east of the Penglais Campus, and hosts the Institute of Rural Sciences and the Department of Information Studies.