- Campus Urban
- Established 1887, as Wrexham School of Science and Art, 2008 as Glyndwr University
- Location Wrexham, Wales, UK
- Motto Confidence through Education
- Motto Hyder trwy Addysg (Welsh)
- Postgraduates 1,390
- Students 8,960 (2010/2011)
- Students 10
- Undergraduates 7,570
- Vice Chancellor Michael Scott
- Vice principal http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/
Glyndwr University is a university with campuses at Wrexham, Northop and St Asaph in north-east Wales. Formerly known as the North East Wales Institute of Higher Education (NEWI), it was granted full university status in 2008 after being a member of the University of Wales since 2003. The University is named after the medieval Welsh prince Owain Glyndwr, who first suggested the establishment of universities throughout Wales in the early 15th century. Glyndwr University (GU) offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, as well as professional courses. The Vice Chancellor is Professor Michael Scott. GU has approximately 8,000 students including over 500 from outside the UK, including the highest percentage of any UK institution from Spain.
Glyndwr University runs 150 programmes, offering foundation, HND/Cs, honours and master's degrees and doctorates over a broad variety of qualifications. In addition to professional courses such as nursing and social work, Glyndwr University offers a range of postgraduate and undergraduate qualifications in Art & Design, Engineering, Science, Humanities, Health and Social Care, Sports Sciences, Computing and Communication Technology, Music technology and Business. Although all courses are offered in English there are options to study or to be assessed in the Welsh language. A foundation degree in Professional Welsh is also available. Glyndwr University is active in postgraduate research, particularly in science but also in engineering, health, business studies and the arts. The institution entered the RAE 2008 and received several rankings of "international significance".
Glyndwr University has two sites in Wrexham itself. The main site at Plas Coch covers 93 acres (380,000 m2), and was inherited from the former Cartrefle TTC which moved there in 1953. It houses over 70 seminar suites, conference suites, lecture theatres, work shops and laboratories, complemented with a library (the Edward Llwyd Centre) and learning resource facilities, as well as a fair sized sports centre (the Plas Coch Sports Centre), a Centre for the Creative Industries, the Centre for the Child, Family and Society, the Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium, a human performance lab, the Terry Hands studio, the Catrin Finch Centre, William Aston Hall, the Oriel Sycharth Gallery, the Welsh international hockey team, and Techniquest, a science discovery centre which is open to the public.